Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Rainy Season Blues...

Rainy season is officially here…(or at least I say it is…so that is kind of official I suppose)…and what does this mean? Well, for one it means that creepy, huge insects of like every species possible have crawled out of the woodwork and into my house. And no matter how many I kill, a billion more replace them. I freely admit that I am forced to murder many a Guatemalan bug. Pacificist that I am, usually in the US I like to let bugs go free in the wild, you know, return them to their natural habitat…(not just because before I got here I was afraid and both grossed out by killing bugs).

Here however, letting one bug go free could result in my death…Ok, ok, fine, maybe I am being a TAD dramatic here…but if I don’t kill the bugs, they will kill me…no wait, that might also be a gross exaggeration…let’s just say that if I don’t kill the bugs, I might live only to regret it…That being said, this week I have killed about a bajillion spiders, and one very HUGE spider, bigger than a tarantula (I wish I were exaggerating here…) I actually tried to drown it, but the thing SWAM!!! So, in the end, it had to be squished…

Other than the mass murder of bugs, rainy season also means that it takes forever to do my laundry, which for me, already was a long process to begin with. Now I am no expert at hand-washing clothes, but I like to soak them for a few days, then scrub them, and then hang them up to dry. Usually drying only takes a day, however, with all the rain now it takes forever…and sometimes, they still don’t dry! Egh…

But really, I have to admit that (so far anyway) rainy season is not as bad as I thought it would be, but I do realize that it is only the beginning. All I can say is that I am glad I brought my rain boots and umbrella back from the States with me…

1 comment:

  1. So you've killed gigantic bugs, can't dry your clothes, yet you still say that rainy season is not as bad as you thought it would be?? What kind of disaster were you anticipating!? sounds pretty rough to me...but i am glad that you are showing Guatemala who is the boss!

    ReplyDelete