Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Whirlwind...

It is my last weekend in Guatemala. And Antigua. And I didn't think I would get emotional, as I have remained somewhat stoic throughout the last few weeks---or sometimes when not stoic, just stressed.

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotion and stress for sure, trying to wrap up loose ends, saying goodbyes and getting all the necessary medical exams (yes, I did have to poop in a cup three times in a row, and if that is too much information, the peace corps life is not for you!) and paperwork done, which are required to "Close of Service" and finish the Peace Corps' experience. This is extremely fitting since the Peace Corps begins with a ton of paperwork and medical evaluations...I guess I have come full circle...

Walking through the cobblestone streets of Antigua, with the sun shining on my back and small, indigenous women trying to sell me random crap on the streets, I can't help but get a little choked up. Guatemala has been my home for the last 18 months, and somehow I feel like I am turning my back on it, the culture, the beauty, and everything it has to offer--which really is so much.

Goodbyes are hard. (thank you captain obvious)

Saying goodbye to Guatemala, is even harder...or harder than I had imagined...especially when I never imagined I would be leaving so quickly or under such strange circumstances.

And while of course it is all so bittersweet, as most goodbyes often are, I am happy to be leaving on friendly terms with Guatemala. Though I have had my fair share of challenges and dark, ugly moments here, I can leave with a smile on my face, because, equally, I have had many wonderful moments here, and I have made some amazing friends--both peace corps and host country nationals.

I do feel lucky to be leaving on good terms with this country. And I dream of coming back one day to visit my friends and family I have made here and the home I have created here...

Thank you, Guatemala for the good times and the bad, for the friendships I have cultivated and for the experience of a lifetime. I hope I never forget you...I don't know how I could...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Noor,

    I am glad you enjoyed your stay here. Please try not to forget me.

    Sincerely,
    Guatemala

    ReplyDelete