Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gobble Gobble Part Two

I just celebrated my second and LAST Thanksgiving in Guatemala! And I have to admit that I am not sad about it, as great as it was because I am looking forward to spending my next Thanksgiving in the United States with my family, stuffing my face with my mommy's delicious, delicious food (mainly side dishes as I am not a huge turkey fan...oh, and PUMPKIN PIE!!! And maybe I will make some baked mac'n'cheese...the options are endless...)

Anyway, this Thanksgiving was pretty awesome here in Guatemala. I spent it at my favorite place in Guatemala, Lake Atitlan (though I still have much more of this country to see, there is just something so calming about the Lake). My friend from the US was visiting me, and we were surprised to learn that the hotel we were staying at had planned an actual Thanksgiving meal, complete with cranberry sauce straight from the can and pumpkin pie. I was in heaven. It was delicious.

Also, it was nice to have a friend from home visit me because it helped me to not miss my family as much as I did last year. Even though for most holidays I have spent in Guatemala, I have usually been surrounded by my peace corps family, which has really been a blessing, on the main holidays, it does get a bit difficult to be away from my family...So I am grateful my friend came and visited me on this special occassion. But I am also grateful that this time next year, I will hopefully be with my family (¡Primero Dios!)

Peace Corps really has helped me to see what is truly important in my life, and at the end of the day, what is important to me isn't flushing toilets, hot water, cheese, chocolate or anything else I never knew I could live without; it is my family and my friends. Every day I am here, I feel truly blessed and grateful for the love and support I have back home--the people rooting for me to finish this, and finish strong. Because of them, I stay sane and positive. Thank you =)

No comments:

Post a Comment