Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Heaven on Earth, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Saturday, August 28, 2010

D-Day…as in Diarrhea Day…

(Don't worry I haven't been sick yet...knock on wood)...

but now that I have your attention…

For those of you wondering exactly how I am spending my time so far in Guatemala, and what training covers, well, let me just tell you…POOP! Because everybody poops…

Last Tuesday we had a medical session in which we learned all about DIARRHEA— yes, every traveler’s worst nightmare. We even got to sing the Diarrhea song. What, you say you don’t know the diarrhea song? Well here, let me teach you: (PS, I dedicate this to my brother, because he first taught me this...who knew years later the Peace Corps' Nurse would ask us if we knew this song...) Ok, here goes:

When you’re sliding onto first and you feel something burst…

DIARRHEA, DIARRHEA

When you’re heading for a double, and you feel something bubble

DIARRHEA, DIARRHEA

When you’re heading into third, and you feel a little turd

DIARRHEA, DIARRHEA

When you’re sliding into home, and you feel something foam

DIARRHEA, DIARRHEA

First, let me just say, that this was the best Tuesday medical training session EVER! And two, also for my brother, I learned that beans really are the magical fruit, and they do, according to the fart chart (pictures to come soon, I promise!) that the nurse so nicely made for us, cause gas.

Seriously though, the Peace Corps really wants us to know the ins and outs of preventing diarrhea and other illnesses (worms, malaria, you name it, we might contract it). Because of this, we spend a few hours every Tuesday learning how to correctly clean, disinfect, and prepare food, how to prevent illnesses, and God forbid, how to handle and even treat certain illnesses. It is very in-depth and useful. We are lucky to have such a dedicated medical staff. In order to keep the information from getting dry, the nurses are awesome and try to have a sense of humor about every category, including diarrhea, which when you think of it, is not funny at all. Ok, that is all for now. I promise to have a more mature post for you all next time...

Cheers from Guatemala!

4 comments:

  1. I do take great pride in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is worse, giardia or diarrhea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I really hope that you got that Steri-Pen. Also... that song brought back some OLD memories... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, considering giardia is a parasite that causes massive diarrhea (and makes you feel kinda gross and gassy), I would have to say it is worse!

    ReplyDelete